Play Rugby USA seeks an experienced and dynamic fundraising professional to serve as the Senior Director of Development. He/she will be responsible for ushering all aspects of development for the organization, with a primary focus on direct asks from foundations, individual donors up to $10k and event-based giving and sponsorships. Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, the Senior Director of Development will play a key role in securing the organization’s next phase of growth by crafting and implementing a strategic fundraising plan targeted at increasing the engagement of existing donors, establishing relationships with new donors, and driving foundation giving. The Senior Director of Development will manage a part-time grant writer and 1-2 junior level team members. In addition, the Senior Director of Development will coordinate with the CEO on major gifts, corporate gifts and strategic partnerships, as well as collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Events to leverage opportunities for donor engagement through a robust annual events calendar.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a seasoned and driven development professional who is motivated by aggressive fundraising goals, enjoys a dynamic roll-your-sleeves-up kind of environment, and who is excited to play a leadership role in moving Play Rugby USA forward into its next phase of growth.
The ideal candidate is an action-oriented, hands-on professional who thrives in an entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment. He/she is a manager and leader, but also rolls up his/her sleeves to get the job done, regardless of the task. As a manager, he/she leverages the skills and experience of the entire team and actively participates in delivering necessary outcomes rather than only delegating. He/she understands how to think creatively and collaboratively about philanthropy, has experience working with a small organization that is growing to a new scale, and is able to get people excited about a common goal. The ideal Senior Director of Development has exceptional skills relating to people and building relationships, including using humor and levity to build internal and external relationships. He/she also has excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to target a message to a variety of diverse stakeholders.
- 7+ years of demonstrated success building and leading the development function in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to identify donors and cultivate relationships leading to substantial commitments from those donors.
- Demonstrated track record in identifying, cultivating, and securing gifts.
- Demonstrated experience with growing and diversifying a development program.
- Broad understanding of supporting development services: prospect research and tracking, contact management, gift processing, and stewardship.
- Passion for supporting disadvantaged youth and youth programming, preferably in the field of mentoring and/or sports-based youth development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred.
This job will require some travel and is located in New York, NY.