We would like to thank all the teams, coaches, parents, and spectators that came to Franklin K. Lane High School for the first CHAMPS Winter Tournament of 2014 on Sunday, March 9th. We had 14 teams from 8 schools compete in both AM and PM tournaments!
The theme for these two tournaments was our organizational value of “Switch On!” We define Switch On as “Preparing physically and mentally for a tournament, focusing on how I will treat others and want to be treated, and playing in the true spirit of the game.”
Everyone involved on Sunday showed this theme throughout the event. There were multiple instances of players crossing the gym to return flags, displaying respect both in victory and defeat, and a building feeling of positive intensity throughout the day.
To fit the theme, for the first time we gave out awards to team’s and coaches that showed the value in their actions:
- Canterbury of New Zealand Switch On Award (AM Tournament)- PS 232 for their amazing display of being Switched On, and JHS 259 for the great answer they provided about what being Switched On means to them.
- Switched On Coach (AM Tournament)- Mike DeRosa of 678 for his confidence and encouragement of his new players, with honorable mention going to Dana DiCarlo of JHS 259
- Canterbury of New Zealand Switch On Award (PM Tournament)- PS 282 teams for demonstrating the value, and the JHS 185 for their awesome answer about what being Switched On means to them.
- Switched On Coach (PM Tournament)- Joanne Olsen of JHS 185 for her flexibility with the scheduling and striving to instill positive sportsmanship amongst her athletes, with honorable mention going to Mel Corbett of MS 113
The results of the AM tournament were:
- Bowl Trophy- PS 232 from Queens
- Plate trophy- 678 from Brooklyn
- Cup Trophy- IS 392 from Brooklyn
The results of the PM tournament were:
- Bowl Trophy- PS 218A from the Bronx
- Plate Trophy- PS 218C from the Bronx
- Cup Trophy- PS 282A from Brooklyn
We are extremely proud of everyone who attended these tournaments. These coaches, players, spectators, and staff displayed the value by continuously fostering a positive environment for everyone at the tournament and dedication to our values in action. Congratulations to everyone who came out for a great event and thank you for everything you do!
To view all the pictures from this event, please click here.