On April 5th we hosted the 2014 Beyond the Bell spring tournament at Eagle Rock High School in Los Angeles.
30 Elementary sites (Over 250 boys and girls) took part in this exciting end of season tournament. The format saw five pools of six teams, with each squad playing four pool matches, then a final.
The skill level on display was excellent, with many of our Values in Action demonstrated, including “Go Forward”, “Get There”, “Try Makers Not Try Scorers” and “Play What You See”.
In the Bowl final, Mayberry had the highlight of the day to come back to score in sudden death to finish off a superb tournament, defeating Lorena 4-3. Bushnell Way were on fine form yet again, and powered through to become the 2014 LA elementary school Cup champions. They defeated Dorris Place 3-2 in a very tight final.
Results of the tournament were:
- Cup Champion: Bushnell Way
- Plate Champion: Dorris Place
- Bowl Champion: Mayberry
Several students displayed the values that Play Rugby USA promotes, and were honored at the end of the tournament, much to the delight of the spectators:
- Canterbury of New Zealand Girls MVP: Danielle Luna (Toland Way)
- Canterbury of New Zealand Boys MVP: Martin Bautista (Glassel Park)
- The LA84 Foundation Girls Spirit of Rugby Award: Ashley Mejia (Charles Kim)
- The LA84 Foundation Boys Spirit of Rugby Award: Richmond Chang (Allesandro)
- Play Rugby USA Girls Go Forward Award: Lindsey Butler (Micheltorena)
- Play Rugby USA Boys Go Forward Award: Nicolas Gonzales (El Sereno)
The Beyond the Bell partnership began in 2011 with 6 elementary sites and it is fantastic to see the growth and success of the train-the-trainer model over the past three years. Special thanks to the LA84 Foundation for all their generous support in helping us growth the wonderful sport of rugby in Los Angeles!